10 September 2021
The humble apple is one of my favourite fruits as it has many health benefits. Regular consumption of apples (2 apples a day) can aid bowel movement and has been shown to have a positive impact on gut bacteria, as well as reducing inflammation.
Apples are also packed with vitamin C and polyphenols (antioxidants) to support immune health. Red skinned apples are higher in polyphenols.
This smoothie is very easy to make and my kids love it – I often add some powdered vitamin C, probiotics and some vitamin D if I feel they need a bit of a boost. Frozen berries (blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, etc) are a lovely addition here if you have them.
- 2 apples (washed not peeled)
- 2 tablespoons of live, full fat natural yoghurt
- A cup of water (or add more if you prefer a thinner consistency)
- 1/2 tbsp of honey
- Chop the apple and place it in a Nutribullet or a blender.
- Add the yoghurt, honey and water and berries if you have them.
- Blend until smooth.